livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Saving Tomato Seeds

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: "Aliza Vanderlip" <songbird97520@yahoo.com>, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Saving Tomato Seeds
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 08:00:36 -0600

Right, I know that small dairy is a killer job & would never dream of doing
that. But mkt growing doesn't have to be in all cases. If it was I wouldn't
be doing it & expanding at 68. It does involve several skills combined, the
growing knack, the marketing sense & business aptitude, & in my approach
simple carpentry as well (no crew for making a hoophouse). Greenhouse/cold
frame protection at start & end of season is our key to making limited space
pay a return, along with space efficient raised bed/biointensive.
Unfortunately a lot of growers can't even tell if they're breaking even, with
tiller or tractor & labor expenses; we have none of those. They fall prey to
the industrial model of "get big or get out", & end up working into an early
grave. It's either work hard or work smart.