livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Six Decades of Leisurely Deterioration

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Six Decades of Leisurely Deterioration
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 23:18:57 +0100

What I have been reading lately is fitting in this framework. Seems the biggest employer in the US is now a variety of security agancies and the military. Maybe you will not revert to the stone age but to the time of Atilla? Worrysome for some of us in small vountries without an army to speak off.
john

Six Decades of Leisurely Deterioration for the U.S. Masses in a Mess

http://www.culturechange.org/cms/content/view/775/65/
by Jan Lundberg
reactions?

paul tradingpost@lobo.net
I don't think anything has changed much since Roman times. People figure out how to make profits, they use whatever means are available to make as much profit as possible. The government grows to meet the demands of the 'leisure' class(which is busy exploiting conquered territory for personal gain), and eventually, everyone at home becomes lazy and stupid amid libraries full of stolen books. The civilization collapses and it starts all over again.
It just so happens that the 'territory' which America exploits is the future, and it does so with the energy (petroleum) and skills of the past.
I don't think it really matters what is being done, or whether people are rich or poor, motivated or leisurely. What matters is whether their actions are taking from their own future (can you say "leveraged debt") or building resources and stability beyond what they consume.

We are at the tail end of the Consumer Empire/extinction event. We have spent the last 100 years or so replacing people's labors with petroleum. The people who were replaced are valueless until the petroleum runs out, and by then, generations have passed without the skills to live without petroleum.

I mentioned Rome, but we are closer to Spain's empire, where generations of 'free' gold created a leisure empire also. When the gold ran out, they fell into the stone age. Black gold has the same effect as the yellow kind.

Dan C.
Belgium, WI