livingontheland - [Livingontheland] a smoking gun at our farmers markets

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org, OWL-OldWaysLiving@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] a smoking gun at our farmers markets
  • Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 23:37:28 -0600

A central principle of farmers markets in the US is the fact that generally
customers show up to find locally grown produce. They can get stuff trucked
in from all over right at their neighborhood supermarkets, so the markets
have to make the locally grown distinction to attract customers.

There's a huge CSA near us that sells at local markets in competition with us
local growers all the Albuquerque area. We found the smoking gun on their own
website at http://www.lospoblanosorganics.com/growers-collective.php It
shows they get produce from THIRTEEN farms in California & Colorado.

The kicker is, their homepage http://www.lospoblanosorganics.com/ gives no
hint that their produce is anything but local.

"In addition to the wide variety of crops that we grow, we also work within a
network of other sustainable farmers/ranchers from our region to help
distribute their products. This ensures our customers will receive the widest
selection of fruits and vegetables while gaining access to local meats, eggs,
dairy, and other tasty staples year round."

"our region" includes California & Colorado?

Just one of the obstacles to better prospects for genuine local market
growers.

  • [Livingontheland] a smoking gun at our farmers markets, Tradingpost, 09/06/2011