livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] How to farm and feed ourselves in a changing climate

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] How to farm and feed ourselves in a changing climate
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 07:25:08 -0400

On 07/07/2011 10:35 AM, Tradingpost wrote:
In organic systems, soil is strengthened, not depleted, and it uses less
energy. This method of farming is safe, reliable, and actually sustainable.
Organic farming is our best solution for feeding the world.

Organic methods also contribute more organic matter/humus over time--fertilizing with chemical salts contributes zero OM--with the result that the soil is much more drought resistant. I have so many times had gardeners in my area say "We've had to give up on the garden for this year--just too dry" and suddenly realize that, yes, it had been pretty dry but I hadn't really noticed because my garden hadn't gotten seriously water-stressed as yet. Very high OM levels.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book, THE SMALL-SCALE POULTRY FLOCK: An All-Natural Approach to Raising
Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market Growers, will be published this
year by Chelsea Green Publishing
(www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/the_smallscale_poultry_flock).