livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Cost of eating going up because of supply, demand

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Cost of eating going up because of supply, demand
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 20:03:03 -0600

It's a crime with hunger so widespread. So much here is wasted in the
harvesting & processing because it doesn't look saleable. Maybe half of it?
When we grow it we don't toss it if it's edible. When we eat out we see
people leaving tables loaded with food bound for the dumpster. I wasn't
raised that way. Waste not, want not.

That's not the half of it. In fact so much food value is lost in processing
people could eat healthier and eat less if they pass by the processed
foodlike substances (Michael Pollan's term) & cooked & ate from basic food
ingredients. And much less wasted by processing.