livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Food prices

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Food prices
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:22:20 -0500

In the early 20th century, the average amount of income spent on food was 40%. With the "Green Revolution" of cheap food, that went down to less than 10%. The problem is that the money they used to spend went to local supplies and infrastructure, but even the 10% they spend now goes to processors and transportation, not to the farmers or local butcher/baker/candlestick maker.
In other words, we have an economy based on people buying crap they don't need and buying it from the wrong places, while not maintaining the physical base of their existence.
The chickens do come home to roost, even if the roost has been traded for an SUV.

Sooner or later, humans will have to be engaged in the reality of resource-based economics, whether they want to be or not. We have used oil to relieve people of the 'burden' of physical work producing food and processing it. We (this list and others) have tried to do some small effort to reverse that trend, but it is apparent that it will reverse when the perception of money/wealth finally destroys itself. Not before.
Billions will pay the ultimate price for food because cheap food was so profitable for a few.

Dan C.
Belgium, WI

  • Re: [Livingontheland] Food prices, Dan Conine, 06/28/2011