livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] chicken breeds/ducks

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: CHERYL WESOLOWSKI <mullski1@msn.com>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] chicken breeds/ducks
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 22:31:34 -0400

Barbara,

I have both and there needs of course are a little different. This is my opinion and observation.  For me ducks are hardier.  I don't have predator problems so my ducks free range during the day.  They don't scratch like chickens just burrow their noses into grass and dirt looking for bugs.   For me they have been a gentler on my garden than free ranging chickens but the ducks will walk on plants and set them back by doing so.  Fencing will help in that regard.  Skin needs are different, chickens need a dust bath and duck will needs water to dip their head in to preen their oils.  I like to give them something to swim in cause I like to spoil em but that's just me.  Ducks don't need much in the way of housing, I use a small moveable pen with no floor.  They don't care is it's raining or snowing or 5 below, they seem to take any kind of weather in stride.  Chickens like dry feet and don't like rain or snow.  Chickens will eat a wider variety of scraps than ducks.   Ducks go crazy for compost worms were chickens can take or leave em.  Feed cost are similar for both in my area.  I tried puckling ducks but it is alot of work, that down really doesn't want to come off, it takes patience and soapy warm  water to make plucking a little easier.  Ckickens pluck much easier even without scalding.  I really enjoy the company of my ducks and bantam chickens when working out in the yard and garden.

Too bad you didn't live closer, I could give ya some fertile silver appleyard eggs and chicken eggs and you could try both and make your own determination.

jeff nw ohio