livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Food production, food preservation, food storage - A three legged stool

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Food production, food preservation, food storage - A three legged stool
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 13:18:26 -0400

Sharon Asyk is one of the most sensible people there is, and understands how to talk to people about food shortages and self-sufficiency. I've read her blog for years, and highly respect her.

And yes, I run into these attitudes too. The one I have the biggest problem with is food preservation. As Sharon says, gardening is trendy and even people who have every excuse in the world for not doing it will still admit that it might be a good idea, "if they could." And likewise for food storage, though there are plenty of excuses for not doing that either.

But food preservation still seems to be an arcane mystery to an amazing number of people. It's too complex and they might do something wrong. Or it's just too hard (read "too much trouble"). Or they've been convinced that home-preserved food probably isn't really safe to eat. We have the factory food system and the "don't-try-this-at-home" mentality to thank for that.

Liz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
Food production, food preservation, food storage - A three legged stool
by Sharon Astyk Published Apr 25 2011 by The Chatelaine's Keys, Archived Apr 25 2011
http://www.energybulletin.net/stories/2011-04-25/food-production-food-preservation-food-storage-%E2%80%93-three-legged-stool