livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] 20 Signs That A Horrific Global Food Crisis Is Coming

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] 20 Signs That A Horrific Global Food Crisis Is Coming
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 10:36:06 -0400

I don't have time to examine and respond to each point, but I did want to comment about the shortage of inventory from major emergency food suppliers. I think the rumor that FEMA is buying up huge blocks of emergency food packs is just that, a rumor. Mountain House has said point blank that their shortages are due mostly to increased demand from the general public, not from any government buys. I have a friend who is close to the people at Shelf Reliance, and he says whatever shortages they are experiencing are temporary and are because of the general jittery state of nerves right now, not because of any difficulty in getting the raw materials or large purchases from any agency or group.

The decreasing volume of fresh water is a huge concern to me. I've had no problem with water from the aquifer I draw from, for 15 years now, but people are building new homes all around my property. I know darn well they aren't being as careful with water as I am. The level of ignorance about water is astonishing. The Weather Channel posted something on their Facebook site on Earth Day about conserving water, and many people replied that it was stupid to recommend that, because "water gets recycled so you don't have to worry about running out." Sheesh.

Liz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>