livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Making Biochar in my New Char Chamber

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Making Biochar in my New Char Chamber
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 21:18:30 +0100

Surprized to see this now. I sent it a century ago.
john

Marty, if mankind stopped digging coal for just ten minutes that would help
more than all the people interested in making charcoal together for all the
rest of their lives.
By letting timber rot in the ground you increase the amount of life/
biomass. By making charcoal you increase death and our species is much too
good at that already.
john

Liz

I don't know what exactly goes into the atmosphere. I'm sure that a
lot of it it water from those fresh chips. There are oils that could
be seen burning as they came out of the chamber. They add to the
heating of my house. As John says a weight comparison is in order.
I'll dry out a batch and see. Even if it is not totally efficient i'm
sequestering more carbon and keeping it locked up for a much longer
time through pyrolysis than it i put the chips in the soil and let
them rot.

Marty