livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Making Biochar in my New Char Chamber

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Making Biochar in my New Char Chamber
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 21:06:39 +0100

Do the weight for weight thing Marty. Charcoal used to be made because it was "light" .Reduced a ton of wood to a little over 50 kg of charcoal. Much easier to carry down the mountain. The traditional ratio is 1 in 20. 19 parts go up in the atmosphere 1 part remains.
john

I fill the chamber with chips that a neighbor was throwing away. I tried sticks that were in my yard but need to work out more efficient stacking method. The chamber is half full of charcoal at the end of the process. I don't know how much volume was water or oils in the wood. So i got 40 to 50% by volume. Don't know weight cause i flooded the chamber with water to stop the process at the charcoal stage. The heat would have been wasted had i not been heating my house. We need furnaces that make char in the process of heating one's home.

Marty