livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Biochar Making Chamber

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: richard green <greenrw71@hotmail.com>
  • To: <martyk@allspecies.org>, <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Biochar Making Chamber
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 00:40:50 +0000

Ok your heating the house utilizing the escaping gas from the wood inside the chamber while at the same time making charcoal. A win-win situation because you had to heat your home anyways. I like the fact the charcoal was made out of smaller branches and such which normally would not be used in a fire place. It certainly Did look like it worked, I thought the holes were a tad bitt larger than needed. I am not convinced that bio-char increases crop production and have started my own tests to verify for myself. I understand the reasoning behind sequestering of the carbon in a stable form like charcoal. All organic matter when decomposing realeses CO2, as much as I like compost its only a short term sequester of carbon.

Rick