livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] [KC No-Till] Biochar Making Chamber Shown on Youtube Video

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] [KC No-Till] Biochar Making Chamber Shown on Youtube Video
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 19:01:17 -0700

I sequestered carbon today by working alfalfa meal into a couple tomato beds
and pepper beds. I just mix the alfalfa with screened aged horse manure,
greensand, and bone meal in a wheelbarrow, and spread it on the beds, then
mix it in with a simple shovel. It also adds fiber, nitrogen, phosphorus,
calcium, and trace minerals at the same time. These things all decompose
together and quickly turn into natural plant food with moisture and microbial
action right in the soil. The soil structure and texture is then more
moisture retentive and resistant to leaching. And I don't have to keep doing
it. Nothing is burned to release CO2 into the atmosphere, no fuel required,
anyone can do it with only a shovel. Very satisfying.