livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Population

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Population
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 20:17:56 -0000

I think this is an extremely important subject and one that is absolutely not touched on in regular education.
Why would "educated" women want even less to do with men? Probably because they have seen there is more to life than enslaving themselves voluntarily?

For me a happy union of man and woman is only possible if both of them have the same goal in life, if they are prepared to pull one common cart in the same direction. But everything starts with the individual. To find happiness I think it is imperative to give your life meaning, to be prepared to make a difference in the world for good. I am afraid that most people live a meaningless life. In other words I believe that life is meaningless unless you give your life a meaning yourself. Consumerism and pleasure seeking are not cutting it I think.

It is sometimes said that all religions are in fact searching for this meaning of life. In reality every particular brand of religion claims to have the unique truth in that and is often ready to wipe out all other brands. All feeble attempts to fill a gaping void imo.
I am no longer religious myself but since I have simple goals, such as trying to save the planet and all living species on it that does not worry me.
The best way I could come up with in daily life was to buy as much land as I could and to farm there ecologically/organic while leaving big parts of it untouched. My wife has the same goals in life and we have been happily married 32 years now. Both of us have degrees in science. She in math's and physics and myself in biology/biochemistry. We reared four children, lost one, so education did not really stop us from contributing to the world population. Each of our children though was reared and grounded in the ways of nature. There is no chance that one of them will ever do something to damage nature. And the obligatory education they got here did not contribute anything to that.

John

The one thing shown to actually reduce population growth is not just education, but the empowerment of women through education ("Freakonomics")
The problem this serves up to our patriarchal System of systems, however, is that when women get educated, they want even less to do with men.

;-)

Dan C.
Belgium, WI