livingontheland - [Livingontheland] excerpts from Heinberg interview

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] excerpts from Heinberg interview
  • Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 20:40:25 -0700

these are points I've been pushing all along. must have got them from
Heinberg originally ;-)

excerpts from:
Interview: Richard Heinberg, Post Carbon Institute
March 1, 2011 By Lindsay Curren
http://transitionvoice.com/2011/03/interview-richard-heinberg/

conventional economic growth is over. But what we need to do in the wake of
that event—the end of growth—is to stimulate certain kinds of economic
activity at the local level. Kinds of economic activity that will in fact
give people jobs, work to do that will help them keep a roof over their heads
and food on their tables.

And this has got to be organized outside the conventional system of finance
and debt based financing.

But I think in the face of that we have to continue doing what we’re doing at
the local level to build local economies. And to basically make the federal
government as irrelevant as possible.

Create parallel structures.

Unless we create parallel economic structures there’s no way that we can get
out from under the more repressive political aspects of a federal government
that’s just doing what it thinks it has to do in order to preserve order.

  • [Livingontheland] excerpts from Heinberg interview, Tradingpost, 03/06/2011