livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Food security at historic watershed

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Food security at historic watershed
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 12:12:16 -0700

Food security at historic watershed
The New Mexican Monday, February 07, 2011 - 2/8/11
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/Opinion/Looking-In--Gary-Paul-Nabhan-Food-security-at-historic-watershe

(Gary Paul Nabhan, Ph.D., is a research scientist at the University of
Arizona Southwest Center, where he co-founded the Sabores Sin Fronteras
Foodways Alliance. His new co-authored book on agriculture, food and climate
change, Chasing Chiles, will be out in March.)

Whether you've noticed it or not, the farming capacity and food security of
the border states are at an all-time low, and are likely to get worse before
they are fully transformed to more sustainable and cost-efficient systems.

Recently, with a dozen experts from four states, we conceded that our
capacity to feed ourselves and the hungriest of our neighbors has been
compromised more than ever before. At the same time, experts assembled by
Forbes magazine projected that as early as 2018, one in every five meals
served in American cities will need to be raised on what are now barren
parking lots and rooftops. Why are these dire predictions arising at this
moment in time?

For starters, close to 25 million acres of prime farm and ranch lands have
been converted to other uses since 1982.

A quarter of this farmland loss occurred in the four states along the Mexican
border, with 925,700 acres lost in Arizona and 465,300 acres lost in New
Mexico.

In addition, recent droughts have impacted the availability of water for
irrigated food production, with Lake Mead recording its lowest-ever levels in
2010.

Other reservoirs used for irrigation have been filled to only 12 percent to
15 percent of their normal capacity, triggering water rationing in many
places. As water scientist Peter Warshall reminds us, "food security requires
irrigation security." And yet, we've recently let most of our already scarce
water supplies fuel the unbridled growth of cities, which have the highest
known per-capita "water footprints" of anywhere in the world.

Farmers are also facing challenges to gaining adequate access to additional
inputs necessary for crop production. Since 2007, the cost of electricity
required on farms has risen 19 percent in New Mexico and 24 percent in
Arizona. In 2011, crude oil prices are projected to begin at
$95.17 a barrel, three times higher than they were in 2000. There are farm
labor shortages being reported as well.

As the cost of farming and ranching rises, so does the cost of food, and it
now has gotten out of the reach of many of the poor and hungry in our border
region.

Arizona has recently suffered from the largest jump in poverty levels
compared to any state in the union, and New Mexico was the third highest of
any state.

Arizona now ranks as the second poorest state in the nation, while New Mexico
is ranked third. Both are now ranked among the six worst states for dealing
with childhood food insecurity. And so, it is not surprising that the number
of residents in these states now relying on food banks and other forms of
food relief hit an all-time high following the 2009 economic downturn.

Despite these discouraging trends, now, more than ever, borderlands residents
are engaged in innovation and redesign of their foodsheds to resolve such
problems.

While New Mexico has achieved more positive policy change, Arizona has
excelled at market-driven solutions.

Arizona now has 72 farmers' markets and New Mexico has 63 markets, many of
which now allow low-income families to purchase fresh foods through the Snap
program. There are now 29 community-supported agricultural projects in
Arizona and 25 CSAs in New Mexico. More than 35 urban farms have cropped up
in our metro areas.

More than ever before, our communities need to plan for a new food future,
one that is sustainable, accessible and just. Much will be at stake if we do
not now heed these warnings, bless and support the innovators, and provide
real incentives for our farmers and ranchers to stay on the land and produce
what they can.

  • [Livingontheland] Food security at historic watershed, Tradingpost, 02/11/2011