livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] 7,000 lbs on 1/10 acre

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] 7,000 lbs on 1/10 acre
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 07:49:57 -0700

Of course Pasadena is frost free all year so they can crop without a break 12
mos a year. And the whole family gets in on the work. As I recall they do all
raised beds (a no-brainer to me of course). I've never managed to get info on
their growing soil, how it's amended etc.

With enough season extension techniques others could approach those numbers
in less temperate climates. It takes more investment and labor but it pays
off. Plus if it's for selling you need the markets and time to sell.

We expanded our raised beds this winter but this week we're in a record deep
freeze so no outside. Immediate bottleneck is locating more hay mulch and
hauling aged horse manure for amending new beds.