livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] ORGANIC NEWS - ROTATIONS RANT

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] ORGANIC NEWS - ROTATIONS RANT
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 17:50:50 -0800 (PST)

I don't get it, what's objectionable about growing tomato's and legumes, or potatos and 'roots' .Other than the extra work to harvest them... I mix pretty much everything,don't use fertilizer (other than azomite every 2 or 3 years which is organically certified, and green , and composted animal manure) - every year or so I dump so extra composted carbon on it and it has seemed better and better for about 6 or 7 years now.

Corn does well in it, root vegetables, brassicacea, tomatos, and of course potatos. Almost as many things volunteer or are perennial now as those I plant. I think rotating is a great idea, succession an even better one, but THE LAW? What am I missing here? Calling people moles because they have different ideas about what works, is indicative of a person who is either perennially imbalanced, or just having a really bad day and has no psychological tools in their toolbox to know the difference.

I liked organic much better when it was finding out about what the local environment wanted, tolerated, and appreciated, I like it much less as an established rarified professional art. If you ask me that's what will kill it, the same way industrial farming turned farming into mining.

--pete