livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] World Hunger Best Cured by Small-Scale Agriculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] World Hunger Best Cured by Small-Scale Agriculture
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 10:19:40 -0800 (PST)

Paul, you admitted a strong bias there.  I'm just pointing out that this bias is making you get a bit short with the Aquaponics people, whatever was meant.  That can get in the way of our easy communication.

I like aquaponics because it replicates a natural system and I can grow the one meat my HOA can't kvetch about.   Like Paul, I am already growing the fish foodstuffs, duckweed and BSF, and that again in a teeny typical back yard..  What did you think when you looked at the Growing Power link that was on the Wiki? http://growingpower.org/  I use of such a small place to feed such a large community impresses me every time and I certainly voted for Will Allen when he was up to become "Gardener-In-Chief"  Feeding the masses Organically is what he is all about, not to mention getting the kids in some pretty rough neighborhoods occupied and educated in food production and nutrition.

I'm not sure if anyone has brought up this up yet but this, I think, was also the source of the new tech on Chem-free sewage recovery, being the basis of Living Machines http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_machines  running it through constructed wetlands.  Both replicating the natural water cycle in an intensive area.  I REALLY like that it can be done with few re purposed and recycled materials.  Travis Hughey is doing that with his "ponics missions in Africa (heh, spreading religion with food)

Yours, <waves> Pego