livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] aquaponics

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Michelle Silva <cosmobaby@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] aquaponics
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:22:06 -0800 (PST)

There are so MANY various ways to avoid the cons listed on Wikipedia if one is clever, resourceful, and is open to learning other ways that support growing sustainably. There are hundreds of people growing aquaponically to feed their families and a growing number of others that I know,(from around the world) growing on a larger scale to feed their communities. Just check out the many aquaponic forums out there. It is HUGE!

As an example of just one way to avoid one of the cons listed..re: energy consumption- my system uses very little..runs on a 93 watt pump...looked into solar, wasn't worth the expense of buying the panel!
I have had someone offer me one recently... working towards getting it totally self sustaining.
Michelle