livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Food Safety Modernization Act

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Food Safety Modernization Act
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 12:24:33 -0800 (PST)

Ok I'm still cynical, and well cynical. The first thing I noticed was that its being promoted by a doctor, maybe he's a smart doctor. Most of them don't even know how long it takes an unpopulated human gut to repopulate itself bacterially speaking after losing its flora. Ask one sometime if you think I'm kidding. I'm sure they mean well.

I don't know if the food safety act covers developing 'science based standards' that currently aren't even present, and given the state of science and its cooption by political and corporate vehicles with other motives - I'm skeptical as well as cynical. I remember on this list we were talking about how long it takes E. coli to die off when you compost, I think we came to to conclusion that it depends. It depends on the soil capilarity, the water content, the temperature, the other material being composted. So far, I haven't noticed scientists coming up with those sort of local answers - perhaps I'm not well educated and have missed it. Now that they have the power it remains to be seen if they have the knowledge. I suspect their discipline though rigorous and sometimes useful, is somewhat like soil testing. Better used as a data point than a holy tome.

It seems to me like we want to legislate things away from our own control far too often, and declare victory and throw a big back patting party. Now the FDA will control something they have always claimed they have no authority over, I'm sure there are plenty of people rolling their eyes and spinning in their chairs at the FDA today. Of course its easy for me to say that being a full time skeptic, in reality it may all just work out fine.

The important thing is I'm usually wrong and don't know what I'm talking about, its just how this whole food safety act strikes me.