livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Organic Food: Cutting Through The Confusion

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Organic Food: Cutting Through The Confusion
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 10:41:44 -0700

Yeah, the thing that bothers me about supermarket organic is no one can ever
know if pesticides or synthetic fertilizers have been used on the produce.
Probably organic is better in general. But certification is all about
paperwork, and testing the final produce - or even testing the soil itself -
is not part of it as the expense would be prohibitive. And of course if the
stuff is from Mexico or Peru they can use chemicals banned in the US.

My guess is genuine organic usually tastes better. For one thing chemical
fertilizers, esp nitrogen, can ramp up the water content which dilutes the
flavor, as opposed to compost and other plant and manure based natural
fertilizers. Stuff can grow bigger with chemicals, but that can be a sign of
less flavor (lower brix). And organic growers often stick with heirlooms
which may produce less but have more flavor. IMHO people go to the markets
more for that home grown taste. And into the season a lot of our repeat
customers are passing up all the other tomatoes and peppers for ours. Or
maybe it's knowing the names of our varieties - instead of "oh I forget what
we planted, some Early Girl, some Big Boy..."? Or her cooking suggestions?