livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Query about chicken behavior story (OT)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Query about chicken behavior story (OT)
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 10:22:36 -0500

Hi All,

I'm working on the chapter in my book I call "Your Basic Bird," which will include a section on chicken behaviors, which will be garnished with a few examples just for fun of more whimsical chicken behaviors.

It may have been on this list (??), a *long* time ago, that a member posted the story of leaving the coop door shut as night came on. The family was watching television when suddenly there came the persistent sound of pecking on the back door: The flock had sent one hen as an emissary to advise the humans of the problem.

The person who posted ended the story by listing all the behaviors exhibited: taking initiative to deal with a crisis, creating a committee to formulate a plan, and communicating needs to others--that kind of thing.

If the person who posted that story is on the list, would you please email me privately with a copy. I thought at the time I had saved it to file, but can't find it anywhere.

Thanks if you can help out.

~Harvey
harvey@themodernhomestead.us

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book, THE MODERN HOMESTEAD POULTRY FLOCK, will be published this year by
Chelsea Green Publishing.