livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] learning curve

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <pbunch@cox.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] learning curve
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 8:01:01 -0800

Composting mimics the process of nutrient recycling on forested lands.
Instead of leaves falling from trees and decaying to release nutrients one is
allowing other vegetable matter to decay and release the nutrients it
contains. In addition to the major and trace nutrients needed by the crops
the decay leaves organic matter in the soil. This organic matter retains both
water and nutrients longer than most mineral soils. It also is used by
bacteria, fungi, insects and other critters that improve the soil in many
ways. Sandy soils benefit greatly because they drain rapidly and the water
and nutrients are rapidly removed from the layer where most of the roots are.
Also the nutrients don't stick to sand particles as well as they do to clays.
The organic matter acts like clay particles because it has a quality called
high CEC or cation exchange capacity just like most clays. It is like a
nutrient magnet. The plants can extract the good stuff while the water is
less capable of doing so. That is why people are so insistent that we add
organic matter.

Phil

---- Debbie McDonald <lbirke1@yahoo.com> wrote:
> But humans already tilled the land. I researched online when I first moved
> to E
TX. There were articles about the small towns, and how fertile the soil was.
They called it sandy loam. The trees were cut, the sandy loam turned to sand
in
my opinion. Various crops were grown. The soil was raped. When the forest
decayed constantly, it kept it's mineral content right. When man started to
export from that land, the minerals were never replenished. How does
composting
overcome that.? Or if the animals graze it and are moved away, same thing. I
have this sandy soil,  I need to know.

  I have one of the books by Prince Charles about his land Highgrove. In that
book that I have, they talk about oak leaves not being good for compost as
the
high tannic acid content would not be good. I have not found answers to that
here.