livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Survive Anything–Food Crisis

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "tanya's garden" <tanyagarden@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Survive Anything–Food Crisis
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 14:00:30 -0800

"...Being that the average family has only a week’s worth of food or
less in their pantry, ..."

Really?? I wonder if there's any data on this.

What I more commonly read about is the staggering waste of food in the
U.S. I see people on freecycle offering expired canned goods. I see
community garden plots left unpicked.

Maybe it was the household I was raised in (parents who grew up during
the Great Depression ) or my own frugal/packrat tendencies, but I
probably have a couple months' worth, at least. I used to joke that I
was raised to have enough in the pantry to feed 20 people at a
moment's notice (though I never had to do this).

I never wasted lots of food, but since I started gardening in the last
decade, I've wasted hardly any food. I know what it takes to grow a
bean, so I even see grains of rice as the product of hours of labor,
vicissitudes of weather, and the magic of saved seeds sprouting. Of
course, since I started composting, "waste" has a different
definition.

  • Re: [Livingontheland] Survive Anything–Food Crisis, tanya's garden, 12/01/2010