livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Look who's going to whole foods

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Look who's going to whole foods
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 11:14:20 -0700

next question - are they going to buy local?

U.S. Army Fighting ... Fat? New Focus On Health Foods, Fitness At Basic
Training
12/ 1/10 11:45 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/01/army-fighting-fat-embraci_n_790264.html
FORT LEONARD WOOD, Mo. — New soldiers expecting Army drill sergeants to
bust their chops over poor posture or a wayward gaze may instead want to
avoid a more modern military transgression: relying on fast food for
sustenance. The U.S. Army plans to get new recruits into better shape with a
revamped approach to health, fitness and diet at basic training. The most
visible changes will be seen in mess halls, where milk and juice dispensers
will replace soda fountains and whole grains will be substituted for white
bread and pasta.
Army leaders unveiled the new approach Wednesday at Missouri's Fort
Leonard Wood. It's the first substantial change to basic fitness training in
the Army in decades. "We are seeing many soldiers entering our profession who
need phased conditioning methods and improved nutritional habits," said Lt.
Gen. Mark Hertling, of the Army's Training and Doctrine Command. "This is not
(just) an Army problem," he said. "This is a civilian problem that we're
receiving, and fixing."
The "soldier athlete" initiative is designed to prepare new recruits with
training methods similar to those offered to elite athletes preparing for
competition – including greater use of athletic trainers, physical therapists
and strength and conditioning coaches.
... "They have never been told how to properly eat," he said. "They think
they can eat a candy bar for energy."

  • [Livingontheland] Look who's going to whole foods, Tradingpost, 12/01/2010