livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Toxic Triad

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Toxic Triad
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 13:47:30 -0700

We can't separate big farming, big food, & big pharma anymore.
paul tradingpost@lobo.net
~~~~~~~~

"Processed food full of sugar, fat, and salt is neurochemically,
biologically addictive in the same way cocaine, heroin, nictoine and caffeine
are addictive, and it increases food and calorie consumption and obesity as a
result."

The Toxic Triad: How Big Food, Big Farming, and Big Pharma Spread Obesity,
Diabetes, and Chronic Disease Across the Globe
http://drhyman.com/the-toxic-triad-how-big-food-big-farming-and-big-pharma-spread-obesity-diabetes-and-chronic-disease-across-the-globe-2527/

ONE THIRD OF OUR ECONOMY THRIVES ON MAKING PEOPLE SICK AND FAT. Big
Farming grows 500 more calories per person per day than 25 years ago because
they get paid to grow extra food even when it is not needed. The extra corn
(sugar) and soy (fat) are turned into industrial processed food and
sugar-sweetened beverages—combinations of fat, sugar and salt that are proven
to be addictive. These subsidized ($288 billion) cheap, low-quality foods are
heavily marketed ($30 billion) and consumed by our ever-widening population
with an obesity rate approaching three out of four Americans. The more they
eat, the fatter they become. The fatter they become the more they develop
heart disease, diabetes, cancer and a myriad of other chronic ailments.

Today, one in 10 Americans have diabetes. By 2050 one in three Americans
will have diabetes. The sicker our population, the more medications are sold
for high cholesterol, diabetes, high blood pressure, depression, and many
other lifestyle driven diseases. The Toxic Triad of Big Farming, Big Food,
and Big Pharma profits from creating a nation of sick and fat citizens.

This structure is built into the very fabric of our economy and culture.
It could be called the medical, agricultural, food industrial complex. It is
what is known as “structural violence”—the social, political, economic and
environmental conditions that foster and promote the development of disease.

more at: