livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Food Addiction

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <pbunch@cox.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Food Addiction
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 5:52:23 -0700

I think this emphasis on choice and personal responsibility is a very clever
and insidious tactic. We are taught to be responsible and that freedom of
choice is almost holy in nature. These are indeed very important and are
cornerstones of our way of life. They are however functions of the forebrain
which does not have absolute control of the old instinctual brain. The roots
of addiction are in the instinctual brain. We don't have to be taught
anything for these systems to function and profoundly influence our behavior.
The struggle between intellect and desire is uneven and most people feel
guilt when instinct wins out over will. Guilt just strengthens the need for
what ever the addictive substance may be.