livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Soliciting input: Guardian dogs

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Charles" <ckavin@charter.net>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Soliciting input: Guardian dogs
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 20:15:25 -0500

I don't have much experience myself but, My grandfather was a chicken
farmer. He protected his hen houses and barnyards with 1 Norwegian Elkhound
and many Geese.
The principle chicken killer up in Ipswich Mass. was Mink followed by Fox.
The Mink was farmed in the area for fur, and the fox were originally brought
over from England for fox hunts.
The Geese were great guards and they would attack anything or anybody that
didn't belong there. The Elk hound also was a great defense against the
Foxes.

Charlie