livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Thinking about poops

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Thinking about poops
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 11:16:29 -0700 (PDT)

There was a discussion of this on a farmers marketing list I belong to since it affected how long many people compost before applying the compost to soil. There are various recommendations for ecoli , might try the USDA site to look for studies. I think they are recommending 120 days lag between collecting 'poop' and incorporating the compost you make from it. For some other microbes like staph's etc I think the time period is shorter on the order of days or a week.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09369.html