livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] cover crops

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] cover crops
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 22:09:16 -0600

Barbara, I can't answer your questions about the brassicas but here's my list
of cover crop resources. Someone else will have to answer what cover crops
would be New England specific. As for the phosphate issue, I'm using bought
bone meal - small quantities - which isn't mined. We can talk techniques all
you want, anytime. But I try not to go on and on about my own methods which
are specific to small plot intensive market production in a short season arid
climate. Obviously dozens of different adaptions are needed in other regions
and situations, and others are far better able to discuss those.

Overview of Cover Crops and Green Manures
http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/covercrop.html

Choosing the best cover crops for your organic no-till vegetable system
A detailed guide to using 29 species

UC SAREP Cover Crop Resource Page
http://www.sarep.ucdavis.edu/ccrop/

Selecting the Best Cover Crop for Your Farm
http://www.leopold.iastate.edu/pubs/nwl/2005/2005-4-leoletter/cover_crop.pdf

Winter Cover Crops
http://www.agry.purdue.edu/ext/forages/publications/ay247.htm

Annual Winter Cover Crops Legumes for Nitrogen Fixing Growing ...
http://www.kuow.org/garden/031001.txt

cover Crop Fundamentals, AGF-142-99
http://ohioline.osu.edu/agf-fact/0142.html

OPERATING A PROFITABLE SMALL FARM
http://www.agnr.umd.edu/users/frederick/pubs/Opfarm18.pdf

Hairy vetch is a cover crop that is an attractive option
http://www.umassvegetable.org/soil_crop_pest_mgt/soil_nutrient_mgt/hairy_vet
ch_cover_crop.html