livingontheland - [Livingontheland] From the papers.

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] From the papers.
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 12:39:59 -0700 (PDT)

On the surface its a small story, but it has all the irony you'd expect from a big operation needing a big high powered solution to let nature do its job.

http://www.ksbw.com/technology/24495980/detail.html

Hollister farmer Joe Tonascia said pinpointing water placement would yield a better return on crops."That would be big. Placement of the water is better, and in return, you might use even more water, but you yield more crop," Tonascia said.

"Sometimes I just go to Google Earth to look down on my fields to know where weak spots are and where they aren't. So, if there was some king of mechanism to constantly afford me the opportunity to see what might be going on in a field, that would be great," he said.Some farmers said current systems can make it tough to evaluate specific needs on specific pieces of land.

  • [Livingontheland] From the papers., Pete Vukovich, 08/03/2010