livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] avocado varieties.

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] avocado varieties.
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 13:13:16 -0700 (PDT)

The variety you want is dependant on your area's cold spells.  Haas and other Guatemalan hybrids are more tender than Mexican varieties.  Mexican took our hard freeze and survived a good 12 degrees lower that what knocked out all the rest. Mine even flowered nicely, tho I protected it.

This link has better info on cold hardiness.  Haas made top by having more veggie fat, the most I think, and a notably more "buttery" flavor.  They all taste pretty good to me but this link also shows which ones had the most desirable flavors.

California <http://www.crfg.org/>, Texas http://www.texasfruitgrowers.org/  and Florida <http://www.rarefruit.org/>all have clubs that can help you understand which hybrid has the best characteristics for your situation.  Avocado is totally tropical, anywhere outside zone 10 or 9 at best, it will need protection.

Yours, Pego

<< I know we grow Hass out here, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other experiences...>>

http://www.ucavo.ucr.edu/AvocadoVarieties/Beyond_Hass.html