livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] look at this sitting down

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: mdnagel@verizon.net
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] look at this sitting down
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 09:32:52 -0500 (CDT)

Well, one would like to think so, but there's a witches brew of crap out
there, and I'm sure that any challenges to its safety will face something
similar as has happened with challenges to Agent Orange. And about Agent
Orange (ref http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Orange):

The earliest form of the compound triiodobenzoic acid was studied by Arthur
Galston as a plant growth hormone. The research was motivated by the desire
to adapt soybeans for short growing season. Arthur Galston is widely known
for the social impact his work had on science. This defoliant was modeled
after Galston’s discovery of triiodobenzoic acid in 1943. Galston was
especially concerned about the compound’s side effects to humans and the
environment.[3]

Galston found that excessive usage of the compound caused catastrophic
defoliation — a finding used by his colleague Ian Sussex to develop a family
of herbicides[4] (Galston later campaigned against its use in Vietnam). These
herbicides were developed during the 1940s by independent teams in England
and the United States for use in controlling broad-leaf plants.

During the Vietnam war, between 1962 and 1971, the United States military
sprayed 20,000,000 US gallons (76,000,000 l; 17,000,000 imp gal) of chemical
herbicides and defoliants in South Vietnam as part of the aerial defoliation
program known as Operation Ranch Hand.[13]

---

So, here we have scientists' work becoming co-opted by government for lethal
purposes. And note the cute program name used in Vietnam. Yes, think Blue
Skies Act, and the myriad of other good-sounding titles that hide the murder
that the government engages in. Moral of the story: mess around with Mother
Nature and die (either directly, or via the government)!

Oh, and just who manufactured Agent Orange? Go ahead, guess. DOW and
Monsanto!

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA