livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] To Prevent a Food Crisis, We Need to Increase Water Efficiency

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] To Prevent a Food Crisis, We Need to Increase Water Efficiency
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 22:53:58 +0100

To Prevent a Food Crisis, We Need to Increase Water Efficiency
Since it takes 1,000 tons of water to produce 1 ton of grain, it is not surprising that 70 percent of world water use is devoted to irrigation -- a practice we can do better.
June 24, 2010 | By Lester R. Brown
http://www.alternet.org/food/147296/to_prevent_a_food_crisis%2C_we_need_to_increase_water_efficiency?page=entire<<<
I am just a bit confused here. When I was a child there was noirrigation going on
anywhere I looked. Grains and other crops just grew.Growth might be slowed down when
it got very hot and dry in summer butnobody would have even thought of irrigating
since the technology or thewater was simply not available.Then came the green
revolution that had as central idea that crops could bedramatically increased as long
as varieties were chosen that could make themost of unlimited water and (chemical)
fertilizer.What I am thinking is that the green revolution is over when people
starttalking about water efficiency. And I am scared as hell that this is a
salesargument softening us up for gmo seeds.I am convinced that without abundant water
crops will do a bit less just asthey did before. So what? We won't be able to reach 9
billion?john