livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More on Low Dairy and Meat Diets; wildlife in crops

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Jean French <jwf267@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More on Low Dairy and Meat Diets; wildlife in crops
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:58:47 -0700 (PDT)

From: pbunch@cox.net <pbunch@cox.net>
>Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More on Low Dairy and Meat Diets
>To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing"
><livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
>Date: Saturday, June 26, 2010, 5:58 AM
>

>John:
>
>What is the reg on wildlife in crops?

I don't know if anyone answered this question already; if so, sorry for repeating.  My partner and I along with a lot of other active farmers, including quite a few Plain People (Mennonite, not Amish, probably) along with the Executive Director of PASA (Brian Snyder) came to a Produce Safety meeting held by the FDA back in April, I think it was.  The regulation that the FDA is "suggesting" to put into effect on farms, for Food Safety, opposes wildlife, including birds, on a farm, as well as "extraneous" plants including windbreaks.  Horses are not to be present on a farm, which is very difficult for those who use horses as the power for plowing (as well as field fertility from manure) to accept.  Fortunately, studies were cited which found no disease transmitted in farm fields from horse manure to the crop, but who knows what will happen.

Here is an article from the Columbus Business Journal on what is going on in Ohio:

For the federal listing of this go to <<regulations.gov>> and in the search box enter docket number FDA-2010-N-0085-0001>> to find materials.

Becky French

  • Re: [Livingontheland] More on Low Dairy and Meat Diets; wildlife in crops, Jean French, 06/27/2010