livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] organic chicken feed

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Barbara Money <bmoney9@verizon.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] organic chicken feed
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 21:03:23 -0400

Harvey Ussery wrote:

My contributions to this topic begin at
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Feeding.html
--lotta info/ideas on offer there.

See also current issue of Backyard Poultry magazine, where my article on home feeding is one of the lead pieces.

Harvey, that is excellent information. I was hoping you would chime in! I did get the latest issue of BP, (haven't subscribed yet) and saw your article. I know next to nothing about bird physiology, or handling; though I know from experience a fair amount on cat, dog and horse feeding and care. Any resources on chicken handling, psychology, or what-have-you that one would need to know in order to not kill them out of ignorance?

Anna, your idea of using wild bird seed is interesting too; I could probably even grow millet or sorghum, depending on quantity needed.

Thanks,
Barbara M
Foster, RI

--