livingontheland - [Livingontheland] organic chicken feed

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Barbara Money <bmoney9@verizon.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] organic chicken feed
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:22:15 -0400

Hi all,

I'm considering having chickens in the near future, and want to avoid GMOs and other questionable ingredients in their feed. They don't need to be certified organic, as least not anytime in the foreseeable future, but I just want clean, healthful eggs and meat for us, as well as healthy birds, of course. Is there an economical (for a small flock) commercial organic feed (or at least non-GMO, and no animal by-products) available in New England, or an economical alternative by mixing one's own feed ingredients? Can you even get non-GMO corn commercially? I have way too little land to raise my own ingredients unless there may be something that you'd use only a little of. How long would say, 50# of feed last for a 10-12 bird flock (layers)?

Thanks in advance,
Barbara M
Foster, RI

--