livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Irish AG Re: The Truth About Vegetarianism

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Irish AG Re: The Truth About Vegetarianism
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 12:20:40 -0700 (PDT)

Ireland has the dubious distinction of being the Very First Colony of the colonial wave marked by the Papal Bull eliciting the forced conversion of whole countries, allowing for mass exploitation of the inhabitants, so long as the "Souls" therein were taken for the church.  Even where the Catholic church was deleted from this pattern of feudal land rapine, the benefactors of this system never otherwise concerned themselves over consequences and did not reward subjects who did.  That period lasted some 1500 years all told, for Ireland, and more (well, later, if not longer) for the rest of us, it goes some way towards explaining this rather exploitation-oriented description of Agriculture.

I have gravitated towards a more self-contained idea of ag, where people put back as much as they take out.    It may not be happening much yet, but it will need to happen to make Euro-style Ag as sustainable as some of the traditional styles of Mexico, Brazil and Peru that it supplanted.

Yours, Pego

<< I'm not certain that "organic" and "agriculture" go together.  Agriculture is part of the main reason we've lost so much topsoil.  Agriculture is domination of the land by humans lacking the foresight to care for the land.  >>

  • [Livingontheland] Irish AG Re: The Truth About Vegetarianism, Pego Rice, 06/05/2010