livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Multi-species housing with poultry?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Multi-species housing with poultry?
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 15:49:49 -0400

Is anyone practicing multi-species housing of poultry and other livestock? Joel Salatin's "raken" house (rabbit cages suspended over layer hens on 12-inch wood chip litter) comes to mind. Or allowing chickens free range in a big traditional barn, cleaning up feed from horses/cows/pigs while "sanitizing" the poops for fly larvae and parasites.

I'd especially like to know if anyone manages a pigeon loft over chickens at floor level. My main poultry house has a lot of "head room," and I've thought about fitting that space out as a pigeon loft (with the chooks taking care of "incoming" from the pigeons by working it into the litter).

Whether housing them over chickens or not: Does anyone keeping pigeons manage them so they feed themselves *entirely* from what they forage themselves, free-flying during the day and returning to the pigeoncote at night?

Again, pictures are great if you have them to share. Thanks.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book, THE MODERN HOMESTEAD POULTRY FLOCK, will be published next year by
Chelsea Green Publishing.