livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Mobile Processing Unit demonstration June 26 (OT)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Mobile Processing Unit demonstration June 26 (OT)
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 10:04:52 -0400

Hi All,

I'm posting this notice in case anyone on the list is in my general area (northern Virginia)--or knows someone who is--and is interested in attending. Thanks.

~Harvey

******************

There will be a demonstration of a well-equipped Mobile Processing Unit, Saturday, June 26, at Chrystal Mehl's farm near Amissville in northern Virginia. [See http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Small+Broiler+Market.html#1 ] The unit is owned by Michael Akey of Westminster, Maryland, member of American Pastured Poultry Producers Association, who will demonstrate the effectiveness of his mobile processing station for on-farm butchering of poultry.

This will be a *hands-on* demo--you will have the opportunity to process broilers yourself using the MPU's equipment under Michael's instruction.

It is *not* the purpose of this event to offer basic butchering instruction to backyarders needing to learn these skills. It is intended for producers of pastured poultry for small local markets--or for those who are considering such a venture, even if they have no experience to date--and who would like an introduction to high quality processing equipment [Michael's MPU features Eli Reiff's stainless steel processing equipment designed specifically for pastured producers]; or a first-hand look at the possibilities for putting together a mobile unit themselves, perhaps for custom processing. [See a picture of Michael's MPU at http://www.localharvest.org/member/M33744 (Note that you can click for a larger image.)]

Registration for the event will be required. The fee will be $25, and $10 per spouse, partner, or participating child (see next paragraph). The demo will start at 10:00 a.m., though you may arrive later during the day if convenient. It will conclude at 3:00 p.m. Please bring your own lunch.

Please note that no child care will be provided, so we request that you not bring young children who require close supervision in an environment with the normal farm hazards. Older children who might work with you in your processing operation are welcome to attend.

If interested in attending, please be in touch with me by email or phone. Registration fees should be sent to me:
Harvey Ussery
P O Box 67
Hume VA 22639
540-364-1877
harvey@themodernhomestead.us

I will send directions to Chrystal's farm upon receipt of your registration fee.

Please pass this announcement on to acquaintances who might be interested in attending. I look forward to hearing from you.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book, THE MODERN HOMESTEAD POULTRY FLOCK, will be published next year by
Chelsea Green Publishing.

  • [Livingontheland] Mobile Processing Unit demonstration June 26 (OT), Harvey Ussery, 05/10/2010