livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] [KC No-Till] Do You Have an Organic No Till Garden?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: kcnotill@googlegroups.com, Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] [KC No-Till] Do You Have an Organic No Till Garden?
  • Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 07:46:30 -0400

Marty Kraft wrote:
Hi

If you are doing an organic (not necessarily certified) no till garden i would like to know about it. How you are doing with it? What are the obstacles? What are the successes? I am looking for possible sites to film and people to interview for my http://www.youtube.com/ organotill channel. This is my intention. I am very busy with my own gardens and other work and will have to squeeze visits in as i can. I would still like to know about your no till attempts even if i don't visit.

Thanks

Marty

A major innovation in my garden this year: A small garden flock in the garden the *entire* season. When not needed for tillage, they will be in a wire-enclosed "compost corner" as shredders/composters. When needed for tillage, I will move their "chicken tractor" shelter (parked in the composting enclosure, and sized to the width of my garden beds) out onto the bed needing tillage, where they will "cruise" up and down the bed until the cover crop is thoroughly tilled in. Free natural foods for the birds, labor saving tillage for me, fertilization of the soil in the bed with the scratched-in poops. Win-win every way I look at it.

Now don't get picky: The chickens will "till" in the cover crop. But I still consider this within the parameters of no-till gardening. Their tillage only goes a couple of inches deep--it does not invert/mix the natural layers that develop in health soil profile, nor break down soil structure--and doesn't seriously disrupt the soil food web in this most active profile zone. Indeed, the addition of the poops boosts the soil life community.

Note that another innovation in my garden this year is cover cropping a full 50 percent of the beds, so the chooks will be working a lot as no-till tillers.

I speak of "innovations," but actually I've used both parts of the strategy extensively in the past: Using chickens in a "chicken tractor" to till in cover crops in garden beds; and using chickens as shredder/composters to generate far more compost than I'd ever be able to achieve a la Sir Albert Howard. The innovation will be having a flock working at one or the other, inside the garden, the *entire* season.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book, THE MODERN HOMESTEAD POULTRY FLOCK, will be published next year by
Chelsea Green Publishing.