livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More on Food for Thought, not buying Chinese

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More on Food for Thought, not buying Chinese
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 14:03:31 -0600

Urban legend. This is from
http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/fooddrink/a/barcodes.htm

Analysis: The information above is misleading and unreliable, on two counts:
1. There's more than one kind of bar code in use around the world. UPC bar
codes, the type most commonly used in the United States, do not typically
contain a country identifier. A different type of bar code known as EAN-13
does contain a country identifier, but it's more commonly used in Europe and
other countries outside the U.S.
2. Even in the case of EAN-13 bar codes, the digits associated with
country of origin don't necessarily specify where the product was
manufactured, but rather where the bar code itself was registered. So, for
example, a product manufactured in China and sold in France could have an
EAN-13 bar code identifying it as a French product.
Looking for a "Made in XYZ" label is generally more helpful, but,
particularly with regard to foods and beverages, there's no sure-fire way to
determine in every case where a product or its components originated. The
U.S. Food & Drug Administration mandates country-of-origin labeling on many
food products, but there are exceptions, most notably the entire category of
"processed foods." Consumer groups are currently advocating the closure of
these loopholes.

forwarding these moldy old things all over the Internet without checking them
is no help to us.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net
listowner