livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Small-lot silage

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Small-lot silage
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 08:04:00 -0400

Thanks, Dan and Elizabeth, for info about making silage--I hope to do an experimental batch this season.

Elizabeth, I don't make privacy screenings with plants per se. However, I grow more every season of feed corn (Hickory King--really tall), sorghum, sunflowers, and amaranth--all plants that could be used in such a planting. I love growing them, for their beauty as well as for their contributions to the flock's feed.

Another screening plant (this one perennial) might be Siberian pea shrub, Caragana arborescens. I'm planting six of them here this season. The seeds are high in protein and from what I read relished by chickens.

~Harvey
I might be able to help shed some light here for you Harvey. I use a chipper/ shredder . . .

BTW Harvey, are you growing your own living privacy fences for your chicken's edibles? If so, how do you like it?

Eizabeth
Hi Harvey,
A good topic. I have done farm scale and a little small scale by accident when composting. I think that there are some points to cover that are important. . . Dan

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book, THE MODERN HOMESTEAD POULTRY FLOCK, will be published next year by
Chelsea Green Publishing.