livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] soil testing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] soil testing
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:07:37 -0700

Sorry, not to my knowledge. Unless you have a small fortune to shell out for
special testing for particular chemicals. And literally nobody can afford to
test for hundreds of potential contaminants. And generally organic standards
don't require soil testing OR produce testing. Surprise!

We live in a chemical soup; that's our so called civilization. People think
if a chemical is being sold it must be approved as safe by the government.
Forget it. Some thousands iof chemicals were grandfathered in years ago,
untested, when EPA took effect as GRAS - "generally regarded as safe". For
food chemicals start with
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/228741/Generally-Recognized-As-Safe
. Thousands of others never tested are approved for industrial, agricultural
and household uses.

At least where we live, there's never been any industry and to our knowledge
this spot was never farmed in modern times if ever due to historical climate.

In the end, we can get to a point of obsessing over contamination and go far
past a point of diminishing returns, to a point where most of our toxins come
not from our food but from the water we drink and air we breathe in a
pristine wilderness. Let's think about that.