livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] soil testing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] soil testing
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 18:17:59 -0700

Yes! I wanted to say something like that, and you're running interference for
me ... add organic matter. Why? Organic matter, compost adds fiber to sandy
soil, loosens clay soil, drains excess water, holds moisture better, buffers
pH, makes soil more hospitable to earthworms and microbes, and adds major
nutrients and trace minerals in a form soil microbes can feed plants.

IMHO we simply can't micromanage soil nutrients or add a bit of this or that
and expect that to solve some problem, mostly because soil science itself is
in its infancy. Translation: the experts don't know enough about it.