livingontheland - [Livingontheland] when the body says no

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Doug Willhite <drwillhite@earthlink.net>
  • To: pvukovic1@yahoo.com
  • Cc: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] when the body says no
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 09:35:41 -0800

Pete wrote:

"Doug,

Thanks for this, haven't had a chance to read the full article. Been trying to figure out what happened to a close friend of mine who had inexplicable and apparently unconnected symptoms and then later took their own life. The whole thing has been racking my brain for months. She had a lot of stress and worry in her life, and it may explain some of the symptoms she had. She swore it wasn't psychological at the time , but it was really mind numbing to try to figure out what was causing her suffering (even harder now that I can't ask)."

Hi Pete,

If Paul deems this appropriate for the listserve it will be posted. Either way, you should receive it too.

A friend taking their own life must be really, really tough to deal with emotionally. I've lost some very special people in my life... but never lost someone that I was really close to in that particular way... thank goodness.

Who could ever really explain what drives a person to suicide? Other than me thinks it's a personal choice -- a choice which impacted a lot more people than merely the one who chose it -- but it was their personal choice nonetheless.

To help you find some closure / peace of mind with your friend, maybe you can dream up some kind of action or ceremony that will help you to honor your friend's choice.

Thankfully, suicide is not a choice most folks make. But if conditions ever became unbearable enough... who really knows for sure how any one of us would respond?

I was depressed a lot from the age of 14 or so until my early thirties. After that I think I developed enough perspective & learned enough coping tricks, tools & technics so that depression no longer felt like falling into a bottomless black hole. Now whenever I feel a little depressed I go do something that I know will help me to remember what a sacred-privilege it is to be alive on Earth.

Getting ones hands in the soil always helps. So do daily chores, walks, journaling, making music... (create your own list. :)

We know from experience that there are a number of ways to dis-spell emotional depression.

take care,
doug

PS When all else fails (sometimes even before that ;) we pray, or ask for help... Some might argue that it is merely our brain fooling itself by manufacturing some kind of dopemine or chemicals which make us feel better. But we are absolutely convinced that prayer is a force to be reckoned with & very worthy of daily practice. :)

http://chihuahuavalley.net