livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Seeking presenter at agricultural conference (OT)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Seeking presenter at agricultural conference (OT)
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:57:01 -0500

I received an invitation to speak at the Northeast Organic Farming Association in mid-August on the topic of providing more alternative feeds to our livestock from home, rather than purchased, resources. The conference is in Massachusetts, typically has about 1500 participants, and individual workshops may have from 20 to 100 participants.

I have decided I cannot make the trip, but am circulating the notice in case anyone on the list has expertise in this topic and would like to present at the conference. If you know someone who might fit the bill, please pass this on.

Do note that you should get in touch with the organizer, Ben Crosscup, *immediately* if you are interested--they're already past normal deadlines, but he would like to find someone for presentation on this particular topic if possible.

~Harvey

**************************

Hello Harvey,

I just spoke with my colleague, Jack Kittredge, who is publishing some of your articles in the upcoming issue of The Natural Farmer. I also work for Northeast Organic Farming Association, and one of my roles is organizing the workshops for the NOFA Summer Conference. Our conference is a major opportunity for people from around the Northeast to learn about cutting edge techniques in organic and local agriculture. One of those areas is alternative feeds for poultry, pigs, and ruminants. Jack said that you are highly knowledgeable in these areas.

I realize that you live in Virginia and that a trip to our conference in Massachusetts would be really big. Of course, I would be thrilled if you'd be willing to come as a presenter, and just below is the original letter of invitation that went out to potential presenters in case this would interest you. But if not, I also wonder if you could recommend other people in the Northeast who you see as doing really cutting edge work in terms of alternative feeds.

I need to finalize the schedule by March 15, which means I'm trying to finalize workshops by March 1. Since I'm getting toward the end of my workshop selection process, some of the original deadlines indicated below have, now passed.

Thanks,

Ben

-------------------------
December 6, 2009

Dear Friend of the NOFA Summer Conference,

I'd like to invite you to submit a workshop proposal for the 2010 NOFA Summer Conference – the region’s foremost conference for pioneers of organic agriculture and sustainable living. It will be held this year on August 13-15, 2010 at UMASS Amherst. The workshops are all 90 minutes long. Sally Fallon is confirmed as a keynote speaker. Our other keynote is Fernando Funes.

This year’s conference will feature 160 workshops for adults on a full range of topics: Alternative energy and the environment; Animal husbandry; Crop specific workshops; Farm economics and management; Farming and the community; Farm tours; Food and family; Food preservation and cooking; Fruits, nuts, and trees; Garden and greenhouse; Herbs and flowers; International Agriculture; Land care; Marketing; Nutrition and health; Of the spirit; Politics and policy; Practical skills; Soil fertility; Social justice; and Urban agriculture.

There will be a Children's Conference with 24 workshops and a Teen Conference with 16 workshops. Children and teen workshops explore many themes in common with the adult workshops in a manner that is appropriate for each age. If you want to submit a proposal for the Children's Conference, contact Valerie Walton <aallspice@aol.com>. If you want to submit a proposal for the Teen Conference, contact Jenn Caron <jennc69@gmail.com>.**

If you would like to submit an adult workshop proposal for this year’s summer conference, I ask that you fill out the attached workshop proposal form, save it, and send it by e-mail to me: Ben Grosscup, <ben.grosscup@nofamass.org <mailto:ben.grosscup@nofamass.org?subject=2010%20SC%20WORKSHOP%20SUBMISSION>>. Put “2010 SC WORKSHOP SUBMISSION” in the subject line.

Shortly after you submit your proposal, I'll send you a confirmation that I received it. If you fill out the form incorrectly, I’ll let you know right away. After this, you can also hold me to getting back to you about whether we will accept your proposal in less than two weeks. Depending on a variety of factors, I may need to speak with you about the content of your workshops before final confirmation.

The sooner you submit your proposal, the better. Having your workshop proposal submitted by January 1, 2010 will be of great benefit as the vast majority of decisions on accepting workshops will be made by the end of January 2010. Workshop proposals coming in later than February 1, 2010 will be considered, but may be less likely to be accepted. February 15, 2010 is the final deadline for submitting workshop proposals. I need to hold firm to this, because I need some time to schedule the workshops before submitting them for the program book on March 15, 2010.

As always, the NOFA Summer Conference will have a wide variety of beginner level workshops, but we're especially interested in workshops directed toward a more advanced skill level audience.

The benefits for those who are accepted as presenters for the NOFA Summer Conference are the following:

* Free conference registration. Presenters cover their own meal
costs and housing costs. NOFA will not cover registration costs
for family/friends/partners of presenters.
* A $50 honorarium for teaching one workshop, and another $25
honorarium for teaching a second workshop. The honorarium is
awarded per workshop and is divided to pay co-presenters.
* Presenters who donate their stipend to the Farming Education Fund,
which provides scholarships for farmers and young people in
financial need, will be recognized in the program book.
* NOFA reimburses costs for copying paper handouts and supplies for
hands-on workshops up to $35.00 per workshop with a receipt. This
does not cover transportation costs, with the exception of animal
hauling costs, which are reimbursed.

Thank you for considering presenting a workshop proposal. The important knowledge and the palpable passion of our presenters crucially defines the NOFA Summer Conference as a compelling and life-transforming event for participants.

Sincerely,

Ben Grosscup
NOFA Summer Conference Workshop Coordinator
38 Maplewood Drive, Amherst, MA 01002
*Home Office: 413-549-1568*
*Cell: 413-658-5374*
ben.grosscup@nofamass.org <mailto:ben.grosscup@nofamass.org>

--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us

  • [Livingontheland] Seeking presenter at agricultural conference (OT), Harvey Ussery, 02/28/2010