livingontheland - [Livingontheland] The Myth of Self-Reliance

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Doug Willhite <drwillhite@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] The Myth of Self-Reliance
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 08:24:31 -0800

Toby Hemenway's article sounds pretty self-righteous, sanctimonious, and preachy to me. His book, "Gaia's Garden" wasn't much better, IMHO! :)

My dictionary describes self-reliance as: "Reliance on one's own capabilities, judgment, or resources..."

Of course, no one can be totally self-sufficient or self-reliant from their community. Nor should they try to be.

For many folks, I think self-reliance means taking back some of your power from the government and multi-national corporations, acquiring more skills, and learning to do more for oneself.

Aspiring toward the myth of self-reliance can help empower you... even if self-sufficiency is ultimately impossible.

Therefore, Hemenway's attempt to destroy the myth of self-reliance is counter-productive and a futile waste of time & energy!

just my two-cents...

doug

http://chihuahuavalley.net

  • [Livingontheland] The Myth of Self-Reliance, Doug Willhite, 02/05/2010