livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] garden videos on Huffington site

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Eva <eva@whitepineisland.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] garden videos on Huffington site
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:02:12 -0800

Compost tea study:

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/FactSheets/Compost%20tea%20fact%20sheet.pdf

Tradingpost wrote:
201001201857240718.00AE5610@mail.lobo.net" type="cite">
Sure it sounds like heresy to organic growers but I have doubts and I've never seen anything addressing these concerns. Not everything we put in our soil is beneficial, or may be harmful in some amounts.
1. Soluble salts in the compost will be first to dissolve out into the water. How much soluble salts would be too much, and what minerals would be in it in excess?
2. The microbes that supposedly multiply in the wet compost would be chiefly anaerobic bacteria and other microbes, wouldn't they? Bubbling air through the liquid hardly makes it an aerobic medium. But those aren't the beneficial aerobic microbes that multiply in healthy soil.
Anyone with answers is welcome.